Every Dog Has A Song

dogsongs.jpg

Kathy writes:

Tess has a fluffy, silver tail that bumps and grinds in the most
seductive call to play or dance.  Without a doubt, her song is The
Stripper by David Rose.
Petey is always on the prowl for socks and you can hear the patter of
his paws, tapping ever so quietly towards the bedroom, as he snickers
his toothy, wolfy grin.  His melody is the Pink Panther by Henry
Mancini.
Sophie greets each day with leaps and spins and hurdles her little
terrier body into a furry explosion of happiness.  She owns
Beethoven’s Ode To Joy!

What music best captures your own dogs’ personality?  Please share!
Kathy

5 Comments on “Every Dog Has A Song”

1. Katy says:

This is too much fun! I have never thought of existing songs for my dogs, but I have spontaneously made up little ditties for each of my critters. These little songs just arise out of love and laughter, and are easy to remember to the tunes of children’s nursery rhymes. Zeke’s Song has three stanzas and a chorus involving how Smart, Handsome and Loyal he is! When Sadie came, this little song popped into my head:
    “We have Apsos, yes we do!
    We have Apsos, we have two!
    Apsos are the best, you know!
    Come see the Zeke and Sadie Show!”
    And I added a Sadie Stanza to Zeke’s Song to sing about how Cute she is. All the critters seem to love songs with their name in it. I can almost hear Zeke ask me to sing His Song for him, sometimes. Layla, the African Grey, sings her own songs and Skipper the Amazon, punctuates them at the end with a “pttttt!”

2. Julie says:

Debby and I have been singing to our dogs for years!! Fleetfire Timbers’ Sidesaddle (Sally) was “Lay Down Sally” while I was grooming her-very appropriate. My first bred by Lhasa,”Kicker”, had a original ditty called, Kick-her-butt, Kick-her-butt, Kicker, Kicker, Kick-her butt! I wish I could think of all the songs I sing to my dogs (they are the only ones who can tolerate my voice), come on Deb-what are some of your doggy tunes!

3. lhasalhady says:

I’ll have to pay attention to what I’m singing when I do kennel chores. Each dog has some kind of ditty, some based off the dog’s name, some made up out of nowhere and some the actual song that dog may have been named. They love my singing, just like they love my cooking…which doesn’t mean I’m good at either one. I remember reading about a study examining good dog and horse trainers in different countries. The tones to which the animals responded were the same, no matter the language. For example, an uplifted voice encouraged the animal. I wonder if when we sing, something similar happens.

My favorite registered name was Ch. Fleetfire Time Runner. KBCO, a radio station out of Boulder, aired a science fiction show on April Fool’s Day years and years ago. One of the characters went back and forth through a tear in the fabric of time, rescuing people, among other things I no longer remember. I can’t tell you if the following song was played during that show or if I attached it to Runner. What I do remember is the significance of the song, at that time, to my own pschye.

RUNNER
    Through the night…through the dawn,
    Behind you another runner is born.
    Don’t look back, you’ve been there.
    See the mist as your breath hits the air.
    And it’s underneath the moonlight…
    And you will run your time, a shooting star across the sky.
    And you will surely cross the line.

Looking up those lyrics provides a perfect example of how we name dogs. Those lyrics were on a page with a song titled Do Anything You Wanna Do. A great name for an Anna puppy! Anna’s registered name is Ch. FFT Do U Wanna Dance (named in a long succession of ‘dance’ name, with a few using the letter U. FFT Do Anything U Wanna Do fits either a male or a female.

Zen, FFT Road to Zen, is named after the title song of blues artist Corey Stevens album titled the same. I don’t sing the song to her though it’s one of my favorites. Her special sing-song is quiet, and taken from that old kung-fu show, the one where the martial arts master, in a melodious voice, would say, “Ah, Grasshopper.” I use that tone for “Zen Master”.

I could on and on about songs and names, but going through the kennel, in my mind, here’s some examples, all done in sing-song:

Dorje
    “Dorje porje puddin’ and pie
    Kissed the girls and made ’em cry.”

Kham ma
    “Kham ma, Kham ma, Kham ma, Kham ma, Kham ma tonight.”

Edie
    “Edie bedie, Edie bedie girl.”

“Saulie Man Saulie Man.”

Here’s an exception, done in a stern, get his attention voice:

“Tango, Ubango get your arse in here!!!!”

I made up Olivia’s song. She was so pretty. She was also a challenge to show, which is why Julie sent her my way. (These days, Julie, you would have handled that tail-down scenario just fine.) I made up her song and sang it to her the entire time we were moving around the show ring.

“She’s a fancy girl.
    She’s a fancy girl.
    She’s a fancy, fancy, fancy girl.”

I find myself still using that song occasionally in the ring.

4. Katy says:

Zeke has always been an “in your face” sort of guy, and I’ve always thought of him as the front man in a rock and roll band, so his song is “We Will Rock You” by Queen. We looked up the lyrics and they seem appropriate, too:

“Buddy you’re a boy make a big noise
    Playin’ in the street gonna be a big man some day
    You got mud on yo’ face
    You big disgrace
    Kickin’ your can all over the place

We will we will rock you
    We will we will rock you”

Lady Sadie, on the other hand, is a quiet and gentle soul, full of grace and contemplation, but fully present in the here and now. Her song is Pachabel Canon in D.

5. Susan says:

Okay, it’s not quite what you asked, but few mornings I regale the puppies with a chorus of “I’ve got a lovely bunch of puppy dogs” (to the tune of “I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts”), which I think I remember as coming from Danny Kaye???? somewhere back in the dark ages of my youth…

Often followed by a snippet of “Lazy Bones, Lyin’ in the Sun….How you gonna get your Day’s work Done….Lyin in the Noon Day Sun….Never get your Day’s Work Done….