:It’s official! 501(c)3 status for the Gompa Lhasa Apso Preservation Program!

Yippee!! Vickie wrapped it up perfectly:

OMG!!!!  Hot Diggity Dog … and a happy dance!!  Honestly, I don’t see how they could turn us down with the information that we submitted (not that they wouldn’t have, but … ) and especially with the answers to the last round of questions.
Damn … seems like we’ve been working on it forever!
Vickie deserves a big, big round of applause.
applause.jpg

6 Comments on “:It’s official! 501(c)3 status for the Gompa Lhasa Apso Preservation Program!”

1. Susan says:

And, for thems of us that don’t understand the significance, could you please enlighten us?…

Obviously, this is a benchmark (Thank You Vickie!!!), but honestly I don’t know enough about it to know why.

Dumber than a Box of Rocks
    Susan

2. Vickie says:

A 501(c)(3) designation basically means the Program Trust is a “non-profit” organization and not required to pay taxes on funds received to maintain the Program. It also means that those who donate receive a credit for a charitable tax donation.

The Trust was originally organized in 2005 and the applcation for 501(c)(3) in 2006. Recognition of the Trust as a non-profit is apsolutely a milestone for the Program!

3. Susan says:

What are the parameters of “funds received to maintain the program”? If a dog were being kept intact for the purposes of future breeding, would his/her care and feeding come under the heading of “funds to maintain”??? Obviously none of my dogs falls into that category, but I’m curious? I guess my house could be considered a nursing home for the veterans????…..grin.

Susan

4. Vickie says:

>>> What are the parameters of “funds received to maintain the program”? If a dog were being kept intact for the purposes of future breeding, would his/her care and feeding come under the heading of “funds to maintain”?

Participants taking of the care of a Gompa dog — whether it be one active in the breeding program or one retired from the program — are responsible for the care and upkeep of the dog(s). Because we are housing the largest colonoy of Gompa dogs, current funding is used for medical care, participation in research programs, registration/identification, consultations with a reproductive specialist and altering of dogs retired from the Program. Addtionally, dogs placed are fully vetted before they arrive in their new homes.

5. lhasalhady says:

In an ideal world, the Program would be able to finance the care of all the dogs. Anyone out there with great fundraising skills? Now that we’ve been granted 501(c)3, this is an area we can explore in-depth.

Previous funds – much appreciated!! – have assisted with the items Vickie mentioned in the above response. However, least anyone get the wrong idea, I personally pay for the daily expenses involved with my colony. I’m told that now these things…even things like dog food…must be kept separated. Gompa food. FFT food. :::sigh:::

I’m much better at caring for numbers of dogs than bookkeeping!

Fortunately, I have Vickie’s help. She is meticulous with records. We’ve got a Work Date – a couple of days actually – set up. The IRS requires…I don’t know…a bunch of stuff around 501(c)3. Like I said, I’m fortunate to have Vickie, her help, her ongoing support.

Once again! Applause! Applause!

6. Susan says:

Thank You, Vickie for keeping Debbie’s focus where it needs to be — for all of us and for all of our dogs !!!!!
    (sound of 4 dogs clapping)